We receive a lot of questions about cosmetic dentistry in Braselton, including what exactly the field entails and what it means for the average person. The list of unknowns can be daunting for those who are curious about knowing if it is right for them.
To help ease some of this confusion, we’ve compiled a list of the most frequently asked question along with our answers.
1. What is cosmetic dentistry? Cosmetic dentistry is an area of dentistry focused on making aesthetic improvements to the mouth, teeth, and gums. Teeth whitening procedures are the most common treatments, but we also use other techniques to provide the best smiles possible.
2.Who performs cosmetic dentistry? Many general dentists provide some cosmetic procedures, such as in-office teeth whitening procedures. But if you’re considering cosmetic dentistry for yourself, it’s best to visit a practice that specializes in the field to learn about the many treatment options available.
3. Why would I get cosmetic dentistry? The main reason we see is to provide a boost the patient’s self-esteem. Yellowed, chipped, and otherwise unsatisfactory teeth can all be treated in one way or another. Many people dismiss these issues as trivial, but unhappiness with your smile can impact your life in a substantial way.
4. How do teeth become discolored in the first place? Discoloration is a natural part of the aging process, but there are many exterior forces that can accelerate the process. These include smoking, the consumption of dark drinks like coffee and tea, and even the use of some medications. Enamel wears down, leaving your teeth looking duller than before and opening the surface up to yellowing. In some cases, it is genetic.
5. Is cosmetic dentistry in Braselton right for me? Only a dentist can tell you whether or not cosmetic treatment is right for you, but it’s very likely that at least one technique is appropriate. This all starts with the initial consultation, during which your dentist will perform a thorough examination and discuss your treatment goals with you.
6. Are there any negative side effects associated with teeth whitening? It’s possible to have an allergic reaction to some teeth whitening solutions – your dentist will discuss which treatments are safe for you!
7. Is cosmetic dentistry ever appropriate for children? There are a few reasons why a child or teenager would be interested in receiving cosmetic treatment such as a chipped permanent tooth or severe discoloration. That said, many treatments can’t be applied on teeth where the dental arch or jaw is still developing.
8. What is a gummy smile? One of the most misunderstood scenarios we treat is the gummy smile. This isn’t due to a specific disorder or condition but is simply the result of the patient’s genetic makeup. Some choose to have their gum line reduced or made more symmetrical for cosmetic reasons, while others find it physically uncomfortable.
9. Is cosmetic dentistry in Braselton covered by my insurance? This depends on both your insurance plan and the procedure. Many procedures are substantially covered under many plans, while others are almost never.
10. How do I know if a cosmetic dentist is good or not? Check the dentist’s website for a before-and-after gallery, or simply ask to see photos of results. If the doctor doesn’t seem too welcoming to the idea, it might be a good idea to consider treatment elsewhere.
How to Get Started with Cosmetic Dentistry in Braselton
All dental care starts with an initial consultation, which allows us to get to know one another, and determine what your dental needs are. We’ll go over your dental records and perform the first exam.
If you are interested in learning more about cosmetic dentistry in Braselton and whether it is a feasible option for achieving your goals, call our office today to schedule a consultation.